Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Poems of true grief

A Mother's Grief
You ask me how I'm feeling,

but do you really want to know?

The moment I try telling you

You say you have to go
How can I tell you,

what it's been like for me

I am haunted, I am broken

By things that you don't see

You ask me how I'm holding up,

but do you really care?

The second I try to speak my heart,

You start squirming in your chair.

Because I am so lonely,

you see, no one comes around,

I'll take the words I want to say

And quietly choke them down.

Everyone avoids me now,

Because they don't know what to say

They tell me I'll be there for you,

then turn and walk away.

Call me if you need me,

that's what everybody said,

But how can I call you and scream

into the phone,

My God, my child is dead?

No one will let me

say the words I need to say

Why does a mothers grief

scare everyone away?

I am tired of pretending

as my heart pounds in my chest,

I say things to make you comfortable,

but my soul finds no rest.

How can I tell you things

that are too sad to be told,

of the helplessness of holding a child

who in your arms grows cold?

Maybe you can tell me,

How should one behave,

who's had to follow their child's casket,

watched it perched above a grave?

You cannot imagine

what it was like for me that day

to place a final kiss upon that box,

and have to turn and walk away.

If you really love me,

and I believe you do,

if you really want to help me,

here is what I need from you.

Sit down beside me,

reach out and take my hand,

Say "My friend, I've come to listen,

I want to understand."

Just hold my hand and listen

that's all you need to do,

And if by chance I shed a tear,

it's alright if you do too.

By: Kelly Cummings



The Recipe to Get Through Infant Loss
Take devastating loss, turn it into healthy grief and find progressive healing
Ingredients Experienced:

14 days of numbness, wishing it was all a dream

A dash of phone calls & emails to inform others of your loss

1 week of memorial planning

1 day of smiling

2 days of feeling guilty for smiling

6 months of adjusting to your new normal

9 months of a roller coaster ride through grief

3-4 weeks of Anger

5 months of Tears

1 month of asking Why Me?

2 weeks of Anxiety

3 days of Denial

3 months of Depression

A little laughter, then back to sad again
Just before the 1st year Angel~ Versary, grab 1 month of Depression

Now that you’ve made it to 1 year you may have had

Several months of Sadness

A few weeks of Fear

Time to gain Compassion

A few months to find Acceptance

And an Unlimited amount of missing your angel
With the above ingredients you can now start preparing for Healthy Grieving
Mix in many months of counseling and/or talking with those who understand. Blend in being able to share your story without becoming teary eyed. Set aside moments for brief meltdowns, and then stir in the strength to get up and keep going. Add in the possibilities of having more children, knowing your angel will never be replaced. Throw in a pinch of fear to try again. Mix in the realization that there will be no crawling, first steps, first day of school, or graduation. Add the comfort that your angel will never know sickness, rejection, or the pains of this world. Set aside both happy and sad tears and know it’s still ok to cry. Mix in life without your angel then sprinkle in precious memories. Cover with hope that your faith will provide you the strength to continue into progressive healing.

Sometimes you will need and will repeat this cycle
Progressive Healing is a constant process, so hold on to your memories, cherish your keepsakes, and never be uncomfortable to say “I Have My Very Own Angel”

*Disclaimer: This recipe was put together to encourage those who have suffered a loss.

Time measurements may vary, and examples given may differ. This is a general recipe put together based on conversations with numerous women who have experienced pregnancy or infant loss


Tiny Angels rest your wings


sit with me for awhile.

How I long to hold your hand,

And see your tender smile.

Tiny Angel, look at me,... See More

I want this image clear....

That I will forget your precious face

Is my biggest fear.

Tiny Angel can you tell me,

Why you have gone away?

You weren't here for very long....

Why is it, yo...u couldn't stay?

Tiny Angel shook his head,

"These things I do not know....

But I do know that you love me,

And that I love you so"
 
 
 
 
 
Angela Donaldson Ok here is one


We thought of you with love today,

but that is nothing new.

We thought about you yesterday,

and days before that too.

We think of you in silence,... See More

we often speak your name.

All we have are memories,

and your picture in a frame.

Your memory is our keepsake,

with which we will never part.

God has you in Hi...s keeping,

we have you in our hearts.

A million times we`ve wanted you.

A million times we cried.

If love could only have saved you,

you never would have died.

It broke our hearts to lose you.

But you didn`t go alone.

For a part of us went with you...

the day God called you Home.

1 comment:

  1. I love these Angela! I'm going to steal them! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete